Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Pumpiefinger

Wednesday, January 14, 2009
I started a new job last week and am trying to ingratiate myself to all my new co-workers by establishing myself as the office Piefinger. It's totally a cheap trick, but I think it's working. I whipped up this pumpkin bread, left it in the break room, and people were swinging by my desk all morning. Even my boss approached me with a hunk of it in his hand and said "For my birthday..." which made me laugh really hard as an opening line.

Here's the recipe:
Easy, Perfect, Pumpkin Bread - adapted from Joy of Cooking

Whisk together:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 T fresh grated ginger root
1 T fresh grated orange peel
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. baking powder

Combine in another bowl:
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla or other extract

In a large bowl beat:
6 T unsalted butter
and cream in 1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs (add one at a time)
1 cup (plus) pumpkin puree

Alternate adding in the flour mixture and the milk mixture and try to do it in thirds. Be careful not to overmix. Feel free to stir in nuts or dried fruit before spreading evenly in a loaf pan. Bake for about an hour at 350. Enjoy the way your house smells.

Sorry I don't have a picture but it was gone by the time I thought to take one.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Piefinger © 2008. Design by Pocket | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates