Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rant: That Stairwell at Work That Always Smells Like an Everything Bagel

Wednesday, January 28, 2009
So there is this stairwell in my office building that pretty much always smells like an everything bagel. I couldn't figure out what angle to take on this rant. There are two avenues. One - just, why? Two - it always makes me hungry. I think I have to go with the latter.

The thing is, even though it is the result of people's boots dragging in snow that melts and releases stench from concrete, this smell makes me hungry every morning. I make a point to have breakfast every morning and yet once I open the door to stairwell A and follow the guy who wears those terrible round-the-back-of-your-head fleece earmuffs up the steps, I can't do anything until I get that bagel.

Our building IS next to an antique shop...and I know that sometimes old brass instruments smell kind of nasty and garlicky...if that's what is making me hungry I think I have reached a new low. Like the time I found that piece of a tortilla chip in my belly button.

3 comments:

Wendell said...

Everything bagels are my favorite.

Hey, I have wrap-around earmuffs! They're only fleecy on the inside though, and my hair covers them.

Are you a hat wearer? I think curly hair is especially destroyed by hats.

Piefinger said...

I understand your plight Wendell. Also, you are not a dude.

I am more of a hood wearer.

David said...

Oh my god. That's so bizarre!!!

Back in the 1980's when New Yorker David Gussen - the inventor of the aforementioned Everything Bagel - decided to marry poppy seeds with sesame seeds, salt, onion his uphill struggle was just beginning.

You see, Charlie, Mr Gussen's coworker LOVED the idea but was not so fond of the smell.

They thought about their favorite smells and what they could do to improve this novel creation from yesterday's discarded yeasted wheat dough.

Although his childhood was fraught, Charlie would often reminisce of summers he spent in the Hamptons with his aunt, local business owner Clara Tompkins.

Aunt Clara would let Charlie play in her store and he made lots of friends there. Everyone always had such a wonderful time.

Therefore, Charlie suggested David inject the same smell he grew so fondly accustomed to; Aunt Clara's antique store!!!

How weird you would liken it to that specific smell!

Small. World. !!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Piefinger © 2008. Design by Pocket | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates