Monday, February 2, 2009

Rave - Macaroons Are Easy

Monday, February 2, 2009

Much like watching Puppy Bowl V on Animal Planet, automatic bill payment, and the 1977 hit single by The Commodores, macaroons are easy. Like, ridiculously easy.

Ian decided he wanted some last night so my piefinger was called upon. I used Ina Garten's recipe, but we were amazed to find that pretty much every macaroon recipe out there involves just three or four ingredients. And, unlike most of the things I bake, it can be easily adapted for your vegan friends and relations because you can use coconut milk and (update from my sister) dates! I also found a couple vegan recipes that use a mashed banana but I don't know...doesn't really seem like a macaroon to me. Maybe a new thing. A Nanaroon.

Basic Macaroons - From Ina Garten
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 14 oz bag of flaked coconut
1 tsp. good vanilla or almond extract (I grated in the zest of one orange for added interest)
2 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt


Take yer condensed milk and mix well with yer bag of coconut.
Splash in vanilla and zest and mix.
In a separate bowl whip egg whites with salt until medium stiff.
Fold whipped whites into the coconut, milk, and extract mixture.

Drop balls of dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake in a 325 oven for 20 to 25 minutes.

These are so chewy and good with just a slight meringue puff at the bottom. Dip in melted chocolate if you like. This is especially good if you add the orange zest.

*The image above is from this recipe.

3 comments:

Maven said...

These sound derrrlicious, but I feel compelled to point out that honey will not veganize anything, yo. I think most vegan recipes use dates.

Now get over here and bake me some stuff.

Siri said...

Hi Em...

You know how there are so many food blogs named after two contrasting foods? Like: "Codfish and Caviar", or "Chocolate and Croissants", or "Garlic and Basil".

I was thinking the two of us could start a new one and call it "Roast Beef and Curtains". What do you say?

Just a thought...

Piefinger said...

Siri, as long as I get to be Roast Beef. I don't know what you'll write about. Interior decorating??

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Piefinger © 2008. Design by Pocket | Distributed by Blogger Blog Templates